Dr. Shah H.M. Khan, MB BS, FRCR, MSK Dip (ESSR)
Consultant Radiologist, East Lancashire Hospital NHS Trust, Blackburn( 2003-)
Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Central Lancashire, Preston (2006-)
Treasurer, British Society of Skeletal Radiologist (2016-)
Editorial board, British Journal of Hospital Medicine (2006-)
SSC Lead (Lancashire), UCLAN and Lancaster Medical Schools (2017-)
Radiology Performance Assessor, General Medical Council (2010-16)
Royal College of Radiologist, PSSB member (2013-16)
Royal Blackburn Hospital
Blackburn; BB2 3HH
Expert Witness Certificate (Cardiff University with Bond Solon), 2008
ESSR (European Society of Skeletal Radiology) Musculoskeletal Diploma, 2009
FRCR, Fellow of Royal College of Radiologists, 2001
MB BS, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, 1994
I am a Consultant Radiologist specialising in Musculoskeletal imaging and intervention, with a particular research interest in Foot and ankle imaging. Musculoskeletal imaging encompasses sports injuries, rheumatologic and orthopaedics disorders and degenerative conditions of joints and spine.
I am currently, Treasurer of British Society of Skeletal Radiologist.
I was member of Royal College of Radiologists, Professional Support and Standards board, which is responsible for the maintenance of standards of radiology service. I was also, Radiology Performance assessor for the GMC, responsible for assessing the fitness to practice of radiologists (1 of only 5 in UK).
Only British radiologist awarded, the prestigious ESSR/ISS Award (European Society of Skeletal Radiology/International Skeletal Society) for Best Scientific research, Oxford, 2005
Awarded prestigious Bronze award by the National Clinical Excellence Committee in 2016, in recognition of excellence in radiology.
I have undertaken specialist Musculoskeletal Fellowship, at internationally renowned Leiden University Medical Centre, Holland
- Medico-legal experience of over 16 years. Average instructions annually are 100-150, with 90% claimants and 10% defendants. Expert Witness in radiological diagnosis of personal injury and clinical negligence.
- I also undertake Clinical negligence cases in musculoskeletal radiology, mainly for claimants and some defendants
- Professional expertise in X ray, ultrasound, CT and MRI scan in musculoskeletal radiology, which is the main site of injury in personal injury cases.
Books- Chapters in 5 international musculoskeletal radiology books
Infection in the Appendicular skeleton. SHM Khan, JL Bloem. Imaging of the Musculoskeletal System. Edited by T.Pope, W. Morrison, JL Bloem, D. Wilson, J. Beltran. Published by Elsevier, 2014.
Peer reviewed journals (over 30 publications…selected recent)
1. What is the relation between number of sessions worked and productivity of radiologists - a pilot study?
Khan SH, Hedges WP
Journal of Digital Imaging. 2016 Apr;29(2):165-74.
2. Adult Hypophosphataemic Osteomalacia
Imalingat HM, Mackichan M, Brockbank JE, Khan SH
JBR-BTR, 2015 June; 98(3):127-128
3. Brodie’s Abscess with osteomyelitis of the foot
Siddiqui MS, Javed S, Zubairy A, Khan SH. JBR-BTR. 2014 May-Jun; 97(3): 168-9
4. Radiology of acute thoracic and lumbar injuries
Matthews HR, Khan SH. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2011 Jul; 72(7): M109-11
5. IRMER regulations: Compliance rate of radiograph reporting by non-radiology clinicians. Kiu A, Bano F, Barnes R, Khan SH. Clin Radiol. 2010 Dec; 65(12): 984-8. Epub 2010 Oct 8
- Regular national and international speaker on Musculoskeletal topics
- On the select panel of ESSR (European Society of Skeletal Radiologists) radiologists teaching Musculoskeletal Ultrasound to general radiologists
- Faculty of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound course, run as a PG Cert and Diploma by University of Cumbria, since 2008.
- Regular Lecturer on imaging of foot, North West Foot Ankle Meeting.
- On the GMC list of trainers, involved in supervision of radiology trainees and medical students.
- Reviewer, Clinical Radiology journal.
Royal College of Radiologist
British Society of Skeletal Radiologist
European Society of Skeletal Radiologist
European Society of Radiology
Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland (MDDUS)